Have you booked a session with Kaye’s Photography or wanting to book a session with us but have NO IDEA what to wear? Thinking oh I will just go buy us a bunch of white shirts with our nice jeans… (eeekkkk….) Please don’t just put a little bit of time into your wardrobe for the session and I swear you will LOVE the end result! Trust me I hired Niki Marie Photography last June to capture our family pictures and it totally made me realize what my clients go through! I am not a stylist but I knew the basic rules and got wonderful portraits out of it though there will be things that I change and did for my boys next session with her but have a look for yourself.
Photo courtesy of Niki Marie Photography
1. One of the first things you want to remember is to COORDINATE but not to matchy, matchy!! Now like I said I would do a few things differently but for the most part I loved these outfits! You do not want every child in the same shirt same color because they will all mix together! This mom did a great job by picking TWO main colors and then a THIRD color to make the outfits pop! These session was so fun and perfectly styled!
2. Mix the PATTERNS!!! Do not put every children in plaid shirts or everyone in stripes! The above to portraits show this well. I have my youngest in plaid and my oldest in a solid. I am in stripes and my fiance in a solid also! Having everyone in plaid would clash together so mix it up!
3. LAYERS… The more (of course not a ton so you look like a snowman) the better! I did this for my little ones second shoot. I did a fall shoot with them but the fall in Michigan can be so bipolar! AND that is exactly what happened. It ended up being about 7o degrees the day of our fall session but because I had layers on the boys I was able to start out with the outfits that I wanted and started striping the layers off!
Photo Courtesy of Niki Marie Photography
3. You also want timeless clothing! Nothing with Aeropostale, Old Navy or a Nike check across it!! This will date the picture and one of the things that I pride my work on is making your portraits timeless! Though I do recommend shopping at stores like Old Navy, Aeropostale, and The Children’s Place for your clothing choices, you do not want their brand written across your chest!
Here are a few dont’s for you…
- Bright white matching shirts and Khakis
- Tops with big logos or a lot of writing on them – keep it clean and classy.
- Shirts with short hemlines and mid-drifts. Dress for your shape.
- Super Short skirts.
- Exact matching outfits. Look coordinated, not matching. White shirts and jeans don’t have much personality and your engagement session is your time to let your personality shine.
Book your portrait session with Kaye’s Photography at email@example.com today!